- Funeral expenses for the deceased person - Provision for coffins, transportation and other things required in the burial process are provided. Often, these expenses are difficult to be met because of the sudden loss so by the help of the lawsuit, these costs are handled.
- Medical costs - In case of a situation where a person survives the accident or the harmful act, they are given medical services which are free of cost.
- Expected income of the deceased family member - As aforementioned, sometimes the deceased person is the only person who has been earning for the family. In this case, the family must go through a grave financial crisis which is then solved by the court.
- Inheritance as a consequence of death - In case of loss of an inheritance, the lawsuit claims provide housing facilities, so they can have a place to live.
- Parental care and guidance - Death can have a destructive impact on the cognitive health of a child and they may be left alone if there is no one to take care of them. This deprivation of parental love and support is dealt with by handing over the child to someone who can take up their responsibility.
These compensations may not take away the emotional trauma, but it can make life more survivable. Today, there are places such as concord in California, who offer various laws to ensure the welfare of families who have experienced loss. There are lawyers who are willing to fight the case and make sure there is provision made for these people. However, despite this, there is a common behavior that families exhibit. They often ignore the idea of filing these claims because of the elongated process or because of hesitance. This mindset needs to be removed and they must be encouraged to not withhold themselves for filing the lawsuit because it is worth it. This can not only help them rebuild their own lives but establish justice and promote fairness in the society.
About the Author(s): Cohen and Winters are seasoned trial lawyers who generally possess more trial skills than the attorneys they face off against. They met in Concord while studying for the Bar, quickly made a connection and have been partners ever since.